Thursday, May 1, 2014

Final Still-Life Painting



Purpose:

To communicate all of your knowledge about color and painting techniques to create a final, more complex, still-life painting (than your smaller still-life studies);
To use your knowledge about composition and placement to arrange your fruit and/or vegetable to create a strong composition.

Artists studied: Paul Gauguin, Vincent Van Gogh, and Paul Cézanne


I remembered to do all the things that I learned would make my painting better which I learned from my practice paintings. First, I spent my time choosing colors and making sure I had the right shades to depict the still life object I was drawing. Also, I remembered to dull down my highlights so that they are not just a white spot, but have a slight tint of the color of the object. Lastly, I made certain to add in multiple layers to my painting so that there are no see through holes/spots, and obvious bad looking brush marks.


First, I learned to be patient when I a painting. This helped because if I rushed the painting I could have messed up a color, and the the painting would look bad. Next, I learned to use the right size brush for the object I was painting. This may seem simple, however, I found that by using the biggest brush on the background really helped for the texture I wanted. Also, it helped just get some of my layers down before adding detail. Lastly, I learned to take frequent looks at the painting from a farther distance away. Doing this allowed me to see what looked good, and what needed to be changed which I couldn’t notice up close while painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment